BIMS Writing Courses
The requirement may be met by passing two writing (W) courses or one writing (W) course and one oral communication (C) course in the student’s major. The requirement may not be met by any course listed as a University Core Curriculum communication requirement, nor may it be met through credit by examination. It may be met by a course transferred from another institution of higher learning, with the approval of the dean of the student’s college and the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Studies. Upon request, students will provide their dean with a course description, syllabus or writing sample from the course being transferred.
VIBS 310: Biomedical Writing
VIBS 311: Biomedical Explorations through Narrative
VIBS 408: Neuroscience and Religion (MUST be enrolled in VIBS/NRSC 407 concurrently)
VIBS 443: Biology of Mammalian Cells & Tissues (Spring only)
BIMS 481: Seminar in Biomedical Sciences (Prereq: VIBS 310 OR VIBS 311)
Core Curriculum Courses
Students are will be required to complete the core curriculum as approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. Students will have to complete the following core courses:
- Communication – 6 hours
- Language, Philosophy, and Culture – 3 hours
- Creative Arts – 3 hours
- American History – 6 hours
- Government/Political Science – 6 hours
- Social & Behavioral Sciences – 3 hours
For a list of approved courses, please visit the Core Curriculum website (click here).
In addition to the Core Curriculum courses, students will also be required to complete the following:
- International & Cultural Diversity (ICD) – 6 hours
For a list of approved courses, please visit the ICD website (click here).
Free electives may be selected from any course offered by the university with the following restrictions:
- MATH 102, MATH 103, MATH 104, MATH 130, and MATH 150 may not be used as free electives
- No more than 6 hours combined of 285, 484, and 485 courses may be used in this program
- No more than 9 hours of 489 courses may be used in this program
- No more than 1 hour of KINE 198 and 1 hour of KINE 199 (S/U) may be used in this program (2013-2014 Catalog and prior)
- No course can be used as an elective when the course content of the elective is essentially the same as, or lesser than, the subject matter of a required course in the degree plan
- No MLSC, AERS, or NVSC course or one-hour seminar course may be used as an elective course.
- Also excluded are CAEN 101/102, ANSC 400, and MUSC 250, 280, 282, 286, and 290.
No Courses other than KINE 199, BIMS 481, BIMS 484, VIBS 310, or VIBS 311 can be taken S/U to be used in the degree plan.